Written by Olivia Arrow
When we think of a baby monitor, we think of monitoring our precious little ones when they first start sleeping in their own rooms. It’s best practice to have a monitor when you’re not co-sharing a room with your little one anymore, ensuring that your baby has a safe sleeping environment. But what do you do with your monitor once baby has outgrown that scary period of needing it for safety?
Well, take it from us, don’t get rid of your monitor anytime soon. Baby monitors have so many functions these days and are so helpful beyond the baby stage that you’ll wonder why you ever packed it away or regret giving to Susie Smith down the street!
Here are some handy ways that we wanted to share with you how you can use your baby monitor once baby is no longer a baby.
- Sleep Monitoring– It doesn’t stop! You go from monitoring your baby to monitoring a toddler to monitoring your young child. I usually get the “Mummy, Mummy” at 2am and reluctantly drag myself out of bed to demands of milky and nappy change requests. As my toddler turns into a young child, I know I’ll be called to chase the monsters away so I’ll be needing the monitor for years to come.
- Nap Times – If you’re a parent of two kids and have them both at home with you, this is when your monitor becomes your best friend. You’ll be able to entertain the child that’s awake as well as monitor your sleeping child. Whether you’re playing in the yard or doing arts and crafts in the lounge, you’ll easily be able to hear your sleeping child wake and tend to them.
- Transitioning to a toddler bed – Have you ever walked into your toddler’s room to do a last-minute check to make sure that they are safely tucked in bed only to find them playing with their toys, wide awake and guess what, doing it quietly? You’re not alone. Transitioning to a bed and getting your toddler to actually stay in it can be quite challenging. If you have the VTech Safe & Sound BM4500-OWL Pan & Tilt Video Monitor watching their every move, you’ll be able to see them get out of bed (or scan the room to see what their up too) all from the comfort of the parent unit.
- House chores and working from home– If you’re like many multi-tasking parents these days and work from home and are the full-time cleaner, sometimes you just need to send a quick email or vacuum up the lunch time crumbs. Having a monitor can be your other set of eyes when your kids are playing in the lounge or playroom while you get on with your chores.
- Safety – Monitoring your kids (especially toddlers) when there are in other rooms can be literally lifesaving. Accidents happen, objects can be left out and within their reach that they think might be tasty. Using your monitor could be the reason that you are able to see if they are in trouble, allowing you to act quickly and potentially avoid a terrible situation.
- Traveling – Who would have thought that you would find a monitor so useful when traveling? Well take it from me, it’s a necessity for any trips away. Your kids might not be so good at staying in new environments and if you’re in another room enjoying a glass of wine and a chat, you’ll be able to easily monitor your kids and if needed, help them settle in their new surroundings.
- Communicating – Have you ever watched your partner put your little one to bed and thought oops, they forgot place the water bottle on the night stand? With the two-way communication feature, you’ll be able to see what’s going on and tell them what needs to be done without getting out of bed yourself. You’ll also love this feature as the kids get older so that you can sooth them without going into their room and having to start the whole nightly routine from scratch.
Making sure you get the right monitor is important if you want to use it for years to come. You need a monitor that will grow with your family and features that are useful beyond the first year.
If you’re looking at purchasing a monitor that you can use well after the baby stage, make sure you check out the VTech Safe & Sound BM4500-OWL Pan & Tilt Video Monitor. This monitor will spoil you with all of its functions and the top 7 we love the most include:
- 4GHz FHSS technology for secure connection and clear sound without interference
- Baby Camera with motorised 260 degree pan & 55 degree tilt, infra-red for night use and digital zoom
- Temperature sensor
- Speaker/microphone for 2 way communication with parent unit
- 3 inch colour parent display
- Additional monitors (up to 4 baby units) with the ability to display all 4 units on the parent display at one time.
- Out of range audible alert
These features are just the tip of the iceberg with many more functions that are packed in this little beauty. You’ll love the ongoing assurance it offers plus the benefit of peace of mind which is invaluable.
For more information on the VTech Safe & Sound Baby Monitor range visit: http://auphones.vtech.com